Friday, June 18, 2010

LONDON...my new hometown


I have found where I belong! The busy streets and hustle of the city is music to my ears! We toured around seeing what we could by bus(double-decker of course) the first day and really got a feel for the city.
It has been fun to be immersed into British culture. I can now tell you that "Cheers" works for saying thanks, good day, and your welcome all at the same time, if you like something you"fancy" it, a queue is a waiting line, diversion is a detour, and the list goes on and on. I didn't get the definition of the classic "bloody", but I did get some funny looks from people on the street as I used the word attempting to british-ify myself.

We saw the beautiful St. Paul's Cathedral, which is huge! There is a very large dome with three tiers. We walked up all three tiers and the view from the very top was a spectacular 360 degree view of London.



After sprinting across the millenium bridge(the one in Harry Potter) I was just in time for the last tour of Shakespeare's Globe Theatre. I wish I could explain my love of theatre to you in connection to visiting such an extaordinary theatre. I couldn't help but smile the whole time I was there.



And to make it better we went and saw Les Miserables that night. I cried! Can you believe that! Like full blown tears down my cheeks, CRIED! It was really good.

We went to Westminster Abbey and rested. Then went to the Evensong service in the church. It was beautiful.



Then on our way down to Dover to catch the ferry to Calais we stopped at the London Temple. It seemed like a little piece of something I was familiar with, I is a blessing to feel the friendship and love of others around the world through the gospel.

2 comments:

  1. It sounds like you're having an absolutely amazing time, Austin! I remember walking on that very bridge! And when I went to St. Paul's Cathedral, I was too afraid of heights to make it all the way to the top..maybe next time! haha
    It's so much fun hearing about your travels! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. How fun! We thought we would let you in on a little secret...dont ever say bloody, you bloody wanker! It is basically like dropping the f-bomb!!! No wonder you got a few weird looks:) London is amazing, I am glad you loved it and had a good time! We love you!

    ReplyDelete